Saturday, December 6, 2008

Vegetarian and Iron Deficiency


I once tried to be a vegetarian. I cut out all meats and tried to live on vegetables and tofu. I was young and enthusiastic and after a few days, I began to few unwell. I felt fatigued and lost a lot of energy. I decided then that maybe being a vegetarian wasn't for me, and began my life as a meat-eater again.

A few years later I took a nutrition course and learned of what is called Iron Deficiency. My professor then said, "Many people who attempt to become vegetarians are iron deficient because they don't know how to do it correctly. They don't get enough iron in their body." She might have said it differently but it was something like that. I knew then, that I was one of those people who didn't go vegetarian correctly.

In an article found on the Savvy Vegetarian website, they discuss being vegetarian and avoiding iron deficiency. A well-balanced vegetarian diet can provide all the necessary amouont of iron that one needs daily. However, it is not only the amount of iron that is consumbed by the body, it is the amount that is absorbed that is significant. Some research shows that vegetarians may absorb only 10% of what they consume while omnivores absorb about 18%. Some factors may help absorption such as Vitamin C and leavened bread.

The bottomline is, being vegetarian is great. You save the lives of animals as well as live a more healthy and saturated fat free life style. However, it is important to not neglect the body of its nutritional needs such as iron. According to the Savvy Vegetarian, if you are concerned about your iron intake, take a simple blood test at your hospital or local medical center, and speak to your doctor about what you can do to increase your iron intake and absorption.

MAIN ARTICLE
Category:Vitamin Supplement
Featured good: Womens Iron Formula
Picture source

2 comments:

@rno said...

I have been a vegetarian during my whole life (53 years now) and never had related health-problems.

Don't eat fear.

Anonymous said...

Yes, my doctor also prescribed a multivitamin supplement for their deficiency in my body, I'm taking them through eVitamins.