Monday, October 25, 2010
Caffeinated Booze Four Loko, Not Drugs, Sickened Students at Party
this article is crazy.. well for me at least i mean i know my Friends drink this and i have in the past ( didn't like it) but i mean its scary i guess i didn't know what i was drinking, and to know that my little sister at a party could be possibly drinking this is pretty scary.
A highly caffeinated, but legal alcoholic drink was responsible for sickening dozens and sent nine Central Washington students to the hospital and led to an investigation of whether the party-goers had been drugged, police said today.
Police said some 50 students became sick after consuming large amounts of the controversial but legal beverage Four Loko, which combines as much alcohol found in a six pack of beer with as much caffeine in five cups of coffee.
This is the latest incident involving alcoholic energy drinks like Four Loko. Already such drinks are banned on college campuses around the country and today the Washington State attorney general lent his voice to a growing chorus of state authorities calling on the federal government to ban the drinks outright
The university announced at a news conference today in Ellensburg, Wash., that the blood-alcohol content of students ranged from .12 percent to .335 percent. In Washington, 0.08 is the legal limit for intoxication. 0.3 can be lethal.
Nine students were hospitalized after the Oct. 8 party at a house where about 50 people had been drinking.
Police called to the scene of the house party, in Rosyln, Wash., about 30 miles from the university, found young people – many of them women – passed out throughout the house and on the front lawn.
Authorities at the time said they did not believe incident was a result of heavy drinking, but that someone had surreptitiously slipped drugs, possibly date rape drugs, into people's drinks.
Police today said there was no evidence of drugs found, only the energy drink.
"Perhaps even more disturbing," said Chief Steve Rittereiser was that students were drinking beer and hard alcohol on top of Four Loko.
"It was really scary," Katelynn Allen, a Central Washington University freshman who was at the party but did not drink told ABC News affiliate KOMO-TV.
"Everything was going fine, the music was playing, people were having fun - and then all of a sudden all the girls were puking everywhere," she said. "Girls were outside on their backs."
Nicknamed "blackout in a can" and "liquid cocaine," Four Loko has already been banned from several college campuses after students became ill.