Saturday, August 9, 2008

Meds that do not mix


The federal government's Food and Drug Administration has recently issued a warning, saying that it would be best to not use some medicines for high cholesterol and "irregular heartbeat" at the same time. The FDA said using such drugs could result in muscle damage. The agency had initially issued a similar warning in 2002, but was prodded to issue another one after recent complaints of muscle injuries in patients. Doctors were advised to find other alternatives to such medications. Zocor and Vytorine, medications used to treat high cholesterol, were some of the drugs specifically mentioned by the FDA, saying that they should not be prescribed to someone using "amiodarone, a heart rhythm drug marketed as Cordarone or Pacerone". It is important to note, however, that while the risks are minimal, all cholesterol drugs carry some risks of muscle damage, particularly among older people.

ORIGINAL ARTICLE

SOMETHING YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT


PHOTO SOURCE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Todd Thomas and i would like to show you my personal experience with Zocor.

I am 55 years old. Have been on Zocor for 4 years now. Zocor did lower my cholesterol. I also have RA and did not know which caused pain stopped Zocor, pain improved dramatically, but weakness remains. Dr says permanent damage. Now I my cholesterol is high.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
Leg pain and weakness

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Todd Thomas