Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Mysterious Aloe Vera


I remember my mom use to come home every Sunday with the weekly groceries. I would help her unload the bags and every Sunday I would see a bottle of Aloe Vera Juice. "It's good for you." My mom said. "Why?" I would question her.
"It just is." She would reply. But like most of her words of wisdom I ignored it. Now a few years older and wiser, I am beginning to understand what my mom had already known so many years ago.

Aloe Vera is commonly know as a green plant, but as cliche as it sounds, "it's what's inside that counts." Inside the thick leaves of the aloe vera plant is a clear gel that has been used for centuries to treat wounds, burns, and other skin abrasions. But aside from topical use, Aloe Vera can be taken orally. According to the website, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, aloe vera can be used as a laxative and also found to be cancer fighting. Emodin, which is an extract of aloe vera, has been found to inhibit proliferation and induce apotosis in human liver cancer cell line. Aloe Vera was found to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties as well.

My mom is over 60 years old, running her own nail shop 6 days a week. She walks/jogs for 30 minutes every morning. Her health is top notch, and her skin and hair looks as healthy as ever. Maybe she doesn't know the scientific data on everything she does or consume. But she is definitely doing something right. She doesn't have scientific proof but her instincts on health are right on. She introduced Aloe Vera into my life, and now I think I'll keep it in my life.


Original Article
Aloe Vera
Aloe Ace 4oz or 116 ml
Picture source

No comments: